Friday, May 6, 2011

Who Am I?

Thought I should start this off with a little bit about myself.  I am married and have 4 children under the age of 7.  I graduated from high school in 1995.  During my time in high school, I took an accounting class that I enjoyed and decided that I should become accountant.  As far as school subjects, math was the only one that made sense to me.  I didn’t enjoy English, art, or history, and science just didn’t thrill me.  The fall after graduation, I went to Weber State University.  I took some classes to fill my general requirements in the fall and winter quarters.  After that, I went to South Africa for a couple years as missionary.  When I returned from South Africa, I went back to WSU with the intent of getting my bachelor’s degree in accounting.  While attending school, I also returned to work at a local fast food restaurant, The Burger Bar.  My plan was not to work fast food for the rest of my life and a short time later I began working as a teller at a local credit union.  I lasted there for about 6 months before, out of the blue, a friend of my father offered me a job as an inside sales rep at a brick company.  During this time, I attempted to be a full time student as well as a full time employee.  This didn’t always work.  I waffled as a full time, part time, and no time student.  During this time I also decided to get married, start a family, and purchase a home.  I finally graduated with BS in accounting from WSU in the summer 2007.  As Chris Farley tells David Spade in Black Sheep – “A lot of people go to school for 10 years.”  After my graduation, I found a job with a large corporation as an associate accountant.  I have since transferred over to cost accounting with the same company.  Sometime after my graduation, my wife thought that maybe it would be a good idea to further torture myself and go for a master’s degree and sit for the CPA exam.  Being busy with kids and work, we decided that the University of Phoenix online would be the best alternative for this.  I started in August of 2008 and finished my final class in February of 2010.  In my typical fashion of procrastination, I waited until 2011 to finally decide to sit down and study for the CPA exam.  My company purchased agreed to purchase CPA exam study materials.  I decided on the Gleim study materials.  I received them in March of 2011 and decided I would try to pass the auditing section first, since this is my least comfortable area.   I had been trying to train for a half marathon that was on Memorial Day, but my knees told me that they were not going to allow me to complete that goal.  So I have finally decided to stop the procrastination and really focus on my studies.  This blog is supposed to track and chart my progression and results as I study and take the test.  I don’t know if this will be a daily, weekly, or monthly blog, or if this first entry will be the last.  But here we are and we’ll see what happens from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment